Management and Board
Rudolf Stäger – Founder and Chairman of the Board
- Co-founder, independent management consultant, founders' representative on the Board of Directors
- Many years of international experience in bank management
- Additional Board positions include Glarner Kantonalbank AG, Tellco Vorsorge AG, Athenion AG and Werco Trade AG
Rudolf Stäger is Chairman of the Board since 2017 and was re-elected to the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG for another three-year term at the 12th Annual General Meeting on June 20, 2018. He is an independent management consultant and professional Board member, he concentrates his activities primarily on advising small and medium-sized enterprises. Until 2007, Rudolf Stäger was an active bank manager and member of the executive Boards of Schroder & Co Bank AG, Vontobel Bank AG and Luzerner Kantonalbank. After a traditional banking education and additional training, he gathered more than 8 years of experience in the financial markets of Luxembourg and London. During his active time as a banker, he was able to build up his Board experience in many diverse industries.
Wolfgang Brysch, MD - Founder and Chief Executive Officer
- Co-founder, multiple entrepreneur, physician
- Senior positions at the Max Planck Institute, Biognostik, Antisense Pharma, BioMedion, Athenion
- Many years of experience as Chief Scientific Officer, primarily in drug development
Dr. Wolfgang Brysch has been Chief Executive Officer of MetrioPharm AG since 2016, before which he was Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Scientific Officer (2007-2016). In 2001, he co-founded BioMedion – a successful IT company specializing in solutions for the pharmaceutical industry. He was Managing Director there until 2007. Prior to that, he worked at Biognostik GmbH, where he was Managing Director and Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) from 1992 to 2001. At that time, Dr. Brysch was also responsible for the preclinical development of various antisense cancer drugs at Antisense Pharma. Until 1992, Dr. Brysch was head of a research group for molecular neurobiology and cancer research at the Max Planck Institute in Göttingen.
Ekkehard Brysch - Founder, Chief Operating Officer and Executive Member of the Board
- Co-founder, management consultant, founders' representative on the Board
- Area of expertise: joint ventures, licensing negotiations and international business alliances
- Many years of experience in strategic management of international and cross-industry companies
Ekkehard Brysch has been a member of the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG since 2016 and was re-elected to the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG for another three-year term at the 12th Annual General Meeting on June 20, 2018.
From 2007 to 2016, Ekkehard Brysch was Chief Executive Officer of MetrioPharm AG. In 2016, he joined the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG and became Chief Operating Officer. He is Managing Director of Athenion GmbH and a member of the Board of Directors of Athenion AG, as well as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of AlphaTelemed AG. From 2001 to 2014 he was also Managing Partner of BioMedion GmbH - a company specializing in electronic data management solutions for the pharmaceutical industry.
From 1980 to 2001, Ekkehard Brysch was a Certified Management Consultant Partner of a BDU consulting firm with offices in Germany and the US. His professional focus as a management consultant was on the development of strategies and the implementation of international business alliances, joint ventures, licensing and contract distribution systems.
Astrid Kaiser, PhD - Head of Drug Development
- Leading positions in academic research and in animal model development
- Specialty: inflammatory diseases, oncology, molecular biology
- Many years of experience in drug development and consulting in research and development
Dr. Astrid Kaiser has been Head of Drug Development at MetrioPharm AG since 2015. Prior to that, she was Senior Project Manager of MP1000 Drug Development (2010-2015). From 2004 to 2008, Dr. Astrid Kaiser worked for Jerini AG as a research and development consultant. Before that, she was head project manager for the development of animal models at mice & more GmbH and advised several small and medium-sized biotech and pharmaceutical companies in Research and Development. Until 1999 she worked as a senior researcher in human cancer research at Benjamin Franklin University Hospital.
Sven Zimmermann, PhD - Chief Financial Officer
- More than a decade of experience as CFO in pharmaceutical development companies
- Specialty: Extensive practice in corporate finance and capital raising
- Managed several successful exits: trade and asset sales as well as a NASDAQ-IPO
Sven Zimmermann is CFO of MetrioPharm AG since August 2019. He holds a doctorate in molecular biology and initially worked as an analyst for the European biotech sector at UBS in Zurich and London. He has extensive experience in corporate finance and capital raising and has worked on five successful exits. Most recently, as CFO of Novimmune SA, he helped with the sale of the company’s main asset for CHF 515 million. In 2010, he supported the sale of PregLem SA for CHF 445 million and, in 2014, the IPO of Auris Medical AG on NASDAQ. As a member of the Board of Directors of Aimago AG and Epiontis GmbH, he was also involved in the sales of these companies.
Werner Wolf, PhD - Non-executive Member of the Board
- Senior positions at Boehringer Mannheim (later Roche)
- Sought-after consultant, for the European Commission (BioFinance, SME Instruments, Systems Medicine), the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Uppsala BIO, Austria Research Funding, and others.
- Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board at the Berlin Brandenburg Centre for Regenerative Therapy BCRT and the College for Regenerative Therapies BSRT, member of ASTIA C-suite selection of projects for funding
Dr. Werner Wolf has been a member of the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG since 2011 and was re-elected to the Board of Directors for three more years at the 13th Annual General Meeting on June 18, 2019.
Dr. Wolf is a start-up and strategy consultant for SMEs and an expert for numerous domestic and foreign institutions and companies. Until 2008 he was Senior Venture Partner and Scientist & Technology Advisor for TVM-Capital in Munich and Boston. In this capacity, he assumed several Supervisory Board positions, including Chairman. From 1974 to 1998 Dr. Wolf worked at Boehringer Mannheim (later Roche); his most recent position was Head of Research and Development of Specialty Chemicals for medical-biological research. At Boehringer, he represented the interests of senior executives on the Supervisory Board. In addition, Dr. Wolf was a member of the Technology Advisory Board of the company's own Life Science Fund.
Markus Wenner - Non-executive Member of the Board
- Partner and Managing Director at GCI Management Consulting GmbH, previously Clifford Chance, GSM Industries
- Specialty: Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Finance
- Other Board positions include: Teleservice Holding, Ringmetall, Traumhaus, aifinyo, Wolftank Adisa Holding, Value Holdings Capital Partners
Markus Wenner has been a member of the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG since 2011 and was re-elected to the Board of Directors for another three years at the 13th Annual General Meeting on June 18, 2019.
Markus Wenner is Managing Partner of GCI Management Consulting GmbH, a consulting and investment company for the mid-sized business sector. Prior to that, he worked for GSM Industries as an investment manager. After studying law in Germany and the US, Markus Wenner began his career as a lawyer for the international business law firm Clifford Chance in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Finance areas. Markus Wenner is founder and co-owner of various companies (SMEs) and a member of various Supervisory and Advisory Boards.
Jörg Gruber - Non-executive Member of the Board
- Corporate Financier
- Venture Capitalist with extensive experience in the life-sciences sector
- Jörg Gruber has been a financial advisor to MetrioPharm since 2009
Jörg Gruber was elected to the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG for a three-year term at the 12th Annual General Meeting on June 20, 2018. He co-founded Clubb Capital, a corporate finance and venture capital boutique, in 1995 in London and has been its Executive Chairman since 1999. Jörg Gruber was instrumental in the creation of BioMarin and he raised the pre-IPO funding for this pioneer of treatments for Orphan Diseases. Subsequently, he became an early backer of Raptor Pharmaceuticals, initially a spin-out from BioMarin, and set-up by one of BioMarin's co-founders. Raptor was afterwards acquired by Horizon Pharma in 2016 for around USD 800 million. Another notable life-science company backed by Clubb was YM BioSciences, acquired in early 2013 by Gilead Sciences for USD 510 million.
Jörg Gruber is a co-founder and the Chairman of Constant Pharmaceuticals LLC in Boston and has served as the Chairman of its predecessor companies since 2007. He is also on the Board of Canadian biotech Formation Biologics, Inc., a clinical-stage company developing drugs to treat cancer and fibrotic diseases.
Jörg Gruber has a background in commercial and investment banking, working with UBS, Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers in Zurich and London, prior to leaving the banking industry in 1990 to pursue his interests in venture capital and small growth companies.