Management and Board
Wolfgang Brysch, MD – Founder and Chief Executive Officer
- Co-founder, multiple entrepreneur, physician
- Leading positions with Max Planck Institute, Biognostik, Antisense Pharma, BioMedion, Athenion
- Extensive experience as Chief Scientific Officer, especially in active ingredient development
Dr. Wolfgang Brysch is Chief Executive Officer of MetrioPharm AG since 2016. Previously he was Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer (2007-2016). In 2001, he co-founded BioMedion – a specialized IT company serving the pharmaceutical industry. He worked there as Chief Executive Officer until 2007. Before that he worked at Biognostik GmbH as CEO and Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) from 1992 until 2001. At this time, Dr. Brysch was also responsible for the preclinical development of various antisense cancer drugs at Antisense Pharma. Until 1992, Dr. Brysch was head of a laboratory for molecular neurobiology and cancer research at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Göttingen, Germany.
John Alam, MD – Senior Medical Advisor
- Leading positions with Sanofi, Biogen, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inhibitex, EIP Pharma
- Headed the clinical development of various blockbuster-drugs such as Avonex®
- Extensive product-to-market experience in different pharmaceutical areas, among others in inflammatory and age-related diseases
Dr. John Alam is Senior Medical Advisor at MetrioPharm AG since 2014. From 2011 until 2014, he was head of the therapeutic-strategic division for diseases of aging at Sanofi. In 2010, Dr. Alam became Senior Medical Advisor at Inhibitex, where he improved the drug development program of the company and promoted the sale to Bristol-Myers Squibb in 2012. Prior to that he worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals as Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President of Drug Development. He played an important role in the development of drugs for HIV, hepatitis C and cystic fibrosis (1997-2008). From 1991 until 1997, Dr. Alam managed the development of Avonex® for multiple sclerosis as Clinical Director at Biogen Inc.
Ekkehard Brysch – Founder, Executive Member of the Board and Chief Operating Officer
- Co-founder, business consultant, represents the founders in the Board
- Specialty: Joint Ventures, licensing negotiations and international corporate alliances
- Extensive experience in the strategic management of international und cross-sectoral companies
Ekkehard Brysch is a member of the Board of MetrioPharm AG since 2016 and was re-elected to the Board for another one year term at the 11th Annual General Meeting on June 22, 2017.
From 2007 until 2016, he served as Chief Executive Officer of MetrioPharm AG. With his moving to the Board of Directors of MetrioPharm AG he changed his active managing role to Chief Operating Officer. Moreover, Ekkehard Brysch is a member of the Board of Athenion AG and Chairman of the Board of AlphaTelemed AG. From 2001 until 2014, Mr. Brysch was managing partner of BioMedion GmbH - a company specializing in electronic data management solution for the pharmaceutical industry.
From 1980 until 2001, Ekkehard Brysch was managing director and partner of a BDU consulting firm with offices in Germany and the USA. His professional focus as a management consultant was on the development of strategies and the implementation of joint ventures, licensing and franchise systems, and international corporate alliances.
Rudolf Stäger – Founder and President of the Board
- Co-founder, independent company consultant, representative of the founders on the Board of Directors
- Long-standing and international experience in bank management
- Further board positions, among others: Glarner Kantonalbank AG, Tellco Vorsorge AG, Athenion AG, and Werco Trade AG
Rudolf Stäger was elected to the Board of MetrioPharm AG for a one year term at the 11th Annual General Meeting on 22 June 2017. He is a professional board member and an independent company consultant, concentrating on small and medium-sized enterprises. Rudolf Stäger was an active bank manager and member of the Management Board of Schroder & Co Bank AG, Vontobel Bank AG, and Luzerner Kantonalbank. After a classical bank education and numerous further trainings, he gained over 8 years of experience in the financial centers of Luxembourg and London. During his active banking period, he already accumulated numerous Board experiences in different industries.
Werner Wolf, PhD – Non-executive Member of the Board
- Leading positions with Boehringer Mannheim (later Roche), Global Life Science Funds, TVM Capital
- Sought-after technology consultant, among others for the European Commission (BioFinance) and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
Dr. Werner Wolf is a member of the Board of MetrioPharm AG since 2011 and was re-elected to the Board for another four year term at the 09th Annual General Meeting on April 23, 2015.
Dr. Wolf serves as a start-up and strategy consultant for SMEs and reviewer for numerous domestic and foreign institutions and companies. Until 2008, he was Senior Scientist & Technology Advisor for TVM Capital. From 1974 to 1998, Dr. Wolf worked at Boehringer Mannheim (later Roche); lastly as head of global Research and Development of Specialty Chemicals. In addition, Dr. Wolf was a member of the Technology Advisory Board of the company's Life Science Fund.
Markus Wenner – Non-executive Member of the Board
- Partner at GCI Management, prior to that Clifford Chance, GSM Industries
- Specialty: mergers & acquisitions and corporate finance
- Further Board positions, among others: Ringmetall, Teleservice Holding, L-Konzept Holding, UMT United Mobility Technology, vpe Wertpapierhandelsbank, Wolftank Adisa Holding
Markus Wenner is a member of the Board of MetrioPharm AG since 2011 and was re-elected to the Board for another four year term at the 09th Annual General Meeting on April 23, 2015.
Markus Wenner is managing partner of GCI Management, a corporate advisory and investment company for medium-sized enterprises. Before he joined GCI he worked as investment manager at GSM Industries.
After studying law in Germany and the USA Markus Wenner started his career as an attorney for the international law firm Clifford Chance in the areas of mergers & acquisitions and corporate finance. Markus Wenner is founder and co-owner of various enterprises (SMEs) as well as a member of several supervisory and advisory boards.